Date: 10-11th June 2023
Alstead New Hampshire Koasek Pow Wow
Alstead NH – Millot Green (15 Mechanic St, Alstead, NH 03602)
In Honor Koasek Members & Their Friends
Presented by the Koasek of Turtle Island, Inc, a 501/c3 Non-Profit http://koasekabenakination.com/
Let us know if you plan to be a vendor(Food or arts), dancer, entertainer, a volunteer, or just attending. Contact Bunnellloyalist@aol.com 49 Pleasant St. #106, Alstead, NH 03602
Entrance Donation: General Public Donation only-Vendor site donations only
- Friday, 9 June 2023: Vendor and event set up time @ 12 Noon
- Saturday, 10 June 2023: Pow Wow opens at 10am EST, Grand entry 12 Noon EST. Closes at 4pm EST
- Sunday, 11 June 2023: Pow Wow opens at 10am EST Grand entry, 12 Noon EST. Closes at 4pm EST
- Monday, 12 June 2023: Vendor exit by 12 Noon EST
This event is a non-alcoholic and drug free activity
Invited Special Guest Nation – Sartigan Abenaki Nation, Quebec, Canada
MC Tony Hay
Drums & Singers :Sacred Earth Singers, Heavy Rain Drum Group, Visioning Bear Drum & Singers, Spirit of the Wind
Food Vendor – A.J. Fried Dough & Jenifer’s Bakery & Rescue Dawgs Smoke & Grill, Monster Tacos
Pow Wow Process &Entertainment
A fire is lit (10 AM) in the circle and must burn night and day until pow wow is over.
A tying a green ribbon on our sacred circle rope for prayers to loved ones and for peace is available.
Smudging begins for all those going into the sacred circle at Grand Entry. 11:30 AM
Introduction of all the drum groups.
Chief Paul or others will bless the gathering and greet all. 12 Noon.
Pow wow grand entry starts at noon (12).
When this happens, there are no cameras allowed and people stand as natives and flag carriers enter the circle. Hats must be taken off.
Our MC, Tony Hay is all you need to follow his instructions.
After ceremony, the next entry will be an honor to our Veterans. Same rules apply.
After that process, MC, Tony Hay announces what is next with dancers, drummers and singers.
We will have recognition ceremonies for others.
Special quests and recognition for our Sartigan Quebec Nation Cousins, Chief Cote & culture representatives Gerard and Laura Boudreau
Recognition of other invited tribe’s present.
General dancing in circle throughout days.
VisionBear Singers with Mary Wheelan
Koasek Drum & Singers, and Gary Lessard
Story Telling by VisionBear
There will be a dance contest with prizes. Best Dance, Best Regalia, Etc.
Snake Dance for all
There will be a candy game/dance in the circle for children.
Arts and food vendors.
Unplanned events that surface.
Closing Ceremony. Putting our sacred fire to sleep. (Sunday around 3 PM)
Vendor List Invitation (Please verify 2023 participation or request to be included)
Koasek Tribal Tent
*Crafts by Daniel Duhaime (New Hampshire)
Alstead Historical Society (Alstead NH)
Kendallparkerdesigns Kendall Parker – Crafts
*Ayanna Proctor – Woodland Crow Leather (Maryland)
*Three Sisters Design & Supply, Amy Postoak
*Strong Oak & Mary Wheelan – Visionbear/Walking in Balance
*AJ Fried Dough & Food
*Doug Kampfer Crafts (Drums/Rattles. Fort Kampfer Trading Post.
*Bob Smith -Painted Tipi Crafts (NY)
Inca Crafts (NY)
*Crafts by Joanne
Jose Cabascango (Hand Made Clothes)
*Bethany Murabito firstname.lastname@example.org Health Market Connect for NH
BChee Indian Jewelry
*Okwari Handcrafting by Cindy & Bob Wubbenhorst
*Jean Schwartz Bead Words With works of Francine Janis of Pine Ridge Res.
*Intuitive Works & Art, by Pisa
*Morgan Hill Maple Syrup NH
*Lemonade by Freyja Dormbush
*Children’s Tent for games
*Dr Ahdi 2 Owls Crafts
*Clay Pinch Pot making/display by Barbara Davis
*Marie Mercado Jewelry
*The Sustainability Project
*Elemental Earth- Natural Products and Wildcrafting Arts by Rick Taylor
*Vanessa Levin, energy work and massage therapy. RiverShen Counseling & Bodyworks
*New Hampshire Commission of Native American Affairs. Cheri Pernaw
(Please sign up to be added)
Places To Stay
- Bellows Walpole Inn, 297 Main St., Walpole NH 03608, 603-756-3320, http://www.bellowswalpoleinn.com/ (7 miles from Alstead)
- Days Inn, Wyndham Keene NH, 3 Ash Brook Rd., Keene, NH 603-727-4785, (19 miles from Alstead) https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/days-inn/keene-new-hampshire/days-inn-keene-nh/overview?CID=LC:DI::GGL:RIO:National:03549&iata=00093796
- The Putney Inn, 57 Putney Landing Rd., Putney, VT 05346, 802-536-4200, http://putneyinn.com/ (20 miles from Alstead)
- The Captain Woodbury Guesthouse, 22 Charlestown Rd., Acworth, NH 03601, 603-835-7986, https://www.captainwoodburyguesthouse.com/ (9 miles from Alstead)
- Rodeway Inn, 593 Rockingham Rd., Bellows Falls, VT 05101, 802-463-4536, (9 miles from Alstead)(https://www.choicehotels.com/vermont/bellows-falls/rodeway-inn-hotels/vt070?source=gyxt
- Holiday Inn Express Springfield, 818 Charlestown Rd., Springfield, VT 05156 802-885-4516, https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/springfield/spgvt/hoteldetail (12 miles from Alstead)
- Harvest Barn Inn, 16 Webb Terrace #3157, Bellows Falls, VT 05101, 802-732-8254, http://www.harvestbarninn.com/ (8 miles from Alstead)
- Alysons Archard, 57 Alysons Ln., Walpole, NH 03608, 603-756-9800, https://alysonsorchard.com/(11 miles from Alstead)
- Motel Westminster, Westminster, VT 05158, 802-722-3073 (9 miles from Alstead)
- Inn at Valley Farms, 633 Wentworth Rd., Walpole, NH 03608, 603-756-2855, https://www.innatvalleyfarms.com/ (10 miles from Alstead)
- Surry Mountain Camp Ground, 271 NH 12A, Surry, NH 03431, 603-352-9770 (13 miles from Alstead)(Check if open)
- Pierre W. Hoge Conservation Base, Eaton Rd., Walpole, NH 03608, (5 miles to Alstead)
- Tree Farm Campground, 53 Skitchewaug Trail, Springfield, VT 05156, 802-885-2889, http://www.treefarmcampground.com/ (16 miles from Alstead)
- Wheelock Park, Park Ave., Keene, NH 03431, 603-357-9829, (18 miles from Alstead) https://ci.keene.nh.us/user/login
Notice To Vendors
The town of Alstead has approved a tent or camper at your vendor site at the pow wow. You must notify Chief Paul Bunnell to reserve those spots Bunnellloyalist@aol.com
Sponsors/Donors: Ko’asek (Co’wasuck)Traditional Band of the Sovereign Abenaki Nation; Koasek of Turtle Island, Inc (501/c3)
New Hampshire Charitable Foundation, Concord, NH
Springfield Vermont Food Co-op- Springfield VT
Sullivan County Conservation District, 95 County Farm Rd. Unity, NH 03743
Fidelity Charities, Albuquerque NH
Claremont Spice & Dry Goods, 12 Tremont St, Claremont, NH 03743
Grant Award from Maine Community Foundation, 245 Main St., Ellsworth, ME 04605
Henry and Helen Cormier Fund for Claremont, Special Projects Grantmaking Fund, Wellborn Ecology Fund
Morgan Hill Mount Cabot Maple, 69 Rowell Road, Lancaster, NH 03584
Quaker City Friends, Unity, NH
Orchard Hill Quaker (Friends), Alstead, NH
Claremont Savings Bank, Claremont, NH
Community Village, Earth Roots Group
Mascoma Bank, Claremont NH
Hypertherm HOPE Foundation, Hanover, NH
Savings Bank of Walpole NH, Walpole, NH
Anonymous Donor, NH
Northern Lights Federal Credit Union, Langdon, NH
Adrianne McLaramore, Royal Oak, Michigan
The Orchard School and Community Center, Alstead, NH
Gathering Waters Chartered Public Schools (4th Grade), Keene, NH
Orchard Hill Breadworks, Alstead, NH
Sustainability Project, Gilsum, NH
The Center at Orchard Hill, Alstead, NH